If you are thinking of leaving the Netherlands to return to your home country, IOM may be able to help you. Our voluntary return assistance is a free service offered to all migrants, regardless of their legal status in the Netherlands.
You can talk to us about voluntary return without any obligations. Everything we discuss will be kept confidential. We can inform you about our assistance available before, during and after your departure. You can discuss any concerns you may have relating to your return in a personal conversation with one of our counsellors. To answer more specific questions we can contact our colleagues in your country of origin. If required we can refer you to other organizations providing social services or advice on various options. If you decide that voluntary return is the right choice we can help you with all preparations for your departure.
If you wish to travel to another country than you home country (resettlement) you can find more information here
When Can IOM Help Me to Return Home?
If you are a migrant and you are currently residing in the Netherlands, you can receive our return assistance given you meet the following conditions:
- You want to leave the Netherlands voluntarily.
- You are a national of one of these countries.
- You, or the legal guarantee for your stay in the Netherlands, lack the financial means to pay for your departure.
- The Government of the Netherlands does not have any objections to your departure.
- You have not received voluntary return assistance provided by IOM or the Dutch government in the past five years.
- You have, or you can obtain, a valid travel document.
- Your application for voluntary return is not based on false pretences.
- You provide the necessary information and follow instructions to organize your voluntary departure.
- Your return can logistically and safely be organized by IOM.
- If applicable: you agree with the termination of pending residence permit procedures or the withdrawal of your Dutch/EU residence permit when departing from the Netherlands.
If you are not a national of one of the countries mentioned above but if you are in a vulnerable situation we can discuss the possibility of exceptionally offering you our voluntary return assistance. Please contact us for more information: +31 88 7464466
How Can We Help You?
We provide the following assistance free of charge:
- Information and counselling about voluntary return in your own language, without any obligation on your part.
- Logistic support to help prepare your journey, including the flight ticket.
- Advice and, if needed, assistance with obtaining a travel document, including the reimbursement of associated costs.
- Assistance during your departure and, if needed, during transits and upon arrival.
- A financial allowance to cover your immediate expenses after arrival, including in-land travel to your final destination.
- Additional support for unaccompanied minor children, victims of trafficking and migrants with a medical condition.
How do You Get in Touch with Us?
We have consultation hours at various locations in the Netherlands, for example at COA reception facilities, immigration detention centres and civil society organizations. At your request, we can visit you at a location of your choice, for example in an emergency shelter or a medical institution.
For more information or to make an appointment with an IOM counsellor close to you, you can call us at +31 88 7464466