IOM the Netherlands is looking for an Operations Assistant
- Are you knowledgeable of asylum and migration issues and available to work mainly in Ter Apel province and cover the North of Netherlands?
- Would you like to work with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in supporting migrants wishing to return to their country of origin?
|Duty Station:||IOM the Netherlands, Geographical coverage Northern Provinces (as per image beside and below)|
|Classification:||General Service Staff, Grade G5|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date:||01 April 2020|
|Closing Date:||9 February 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
|IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered first-tier candidates.|
Context: Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Team Leader Operations, the successful candidate will have the following responsibilities in order to facilitate and support the voluntary return of migrants responsible under The AVRR Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Identify potential returnees, provide information and counsel about IOM’s AVRR services keeping up to date about national and international developments concerning the target groups as relevant to return, AVRR and IOM;
- Build and maintain contacts and good working relations with target stakeholders and organizations, work together with migrants;
- Assist migrants wishing to return voluntarily to their country of origin, in coordination with relevant IOM units and IOM stakeholders, and in observance of IOM’s guidelines and procedures;
- Facilitate the AVRR departure process by informing migrants on the practical aspects of the IOM-assisted departure from the Netherlands; assisting potential returnees in finding solutions for possible obstacles to their return;
- Maintain proper and accurate migrant files, by registering relevant data concerning the progress of work, in accordance with IOM procedures;
- Account and report on financial responsibility in line with IOM’s applicable regulations;
- Registering relevant data and submit regular reports to the Team Leader Operations on the results, developments and possible bottlenecks
- Undertake duty travel related to AVRR project implementation as required;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
University degree in Sociology, Political Sciences, Anthropology or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience, preferably in administrative support or similar roles;
Completed High School diploma (MBO) from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience; preferably in similar roles.
- Good written and verbal expression skills;
- Knowledge of MS Office and experience with database;
- Knowledge of asylum and migration issues and the parties involved;
- Working experience in administration and reporting;
- Working experience in an international setting, familiarity with the work of an international organizations;
- Analytical thinking, good organisational skills;
- Experience with/knowledge of outreach work and counselling;
- Knowledge of asylum and migration issues and the parties involved. Ability to build and maintain good relations with counterparts;
- Good command of information and presentation techniques;
- Demonstrable experience with the target groups relevant to the IOM;
- Ability to build solid understanding and implementing guidelines;
- Experience with client-tracking systems;
- Preferably holding a driving licence B;
- Willingness to work irregular and flexible hours;
Fluency in English and Dutch is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
For an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts duly completed PHF signed and scanned.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.